A bit about Colby


Can you believe that my little Colby-man is six months old?! I certainly can't! Time is just flying and I wanted to make sure I jotted down some of my favorite things about our baby boy before he's not a baby anymore.

It's funny because as I look back on my last post, written only weeks after Colby's birth, I realize the things that stuck out to me then are some of the same things that stick out to me now. It is truly amazing how babies' little personalities become apparent to the mother from the moment they are born or even earlier, when in the woom.

So here they are, the things I love most about my son at six-months young:

1. Colby never stops moving. Some say it's a boy thing. It may just be his personality. But all I know is that his rolly-polly legs kick so much that I'm pretty sure he's training to run marathon. And if he's not moving, you sure better believe that you are.

2. Colby loves to laugh and I love his laugh. His happy baby nature makes my life as a new stay-at-home mom (still not used to that title) a tad bit easier. But it's his contagious belly laugh that can brighten anyone's day. Usually, it's the smallest thing that sets him off, like Ainsley dancing into the room or someone just saying "boo". Either way, if Colby finds it funny, it's not just funny, it's hysterical. He snorts, his cheeks turn red and he gasps for air. And I'm lucky enough to hear that adorable giggle at least once a day.


3. Colby is quite the mama's boy. It has been such an interesting experience having a baby who is completely obsessed with me. Ainsley always seemed to be equally content with Mommy or Daddy, but it took Colby a little while to warm up to anyone other than me. Even now, when he hears my voice, his eyes light up. And he gazes at me from across the room as if he has a giant crush on me. Thanks, buddy! At least someone still finds my post-pardem face and bod attractive. (Well, Ry does too, but he definitely doesn't stare at me and get all giddy the way Colby does. If he did, I'd probably be a little creeped out.)

4. Colby is very expressive and verbal. Sometimes when I'm engaged in a conversation, I'll find him desperately trying to chime in. It's like a preview of what's to come: "Ma, Ma, stop talking. Ma, let's go! Ma, talk to me!" He also uses his voice as one of his self-soothing techniques. Sometimes I'll hear him moaning himself to sleep. Not crying, just moaning. However, if he's angry, he sure lets it be known. Like I said back when he was born, he screams like a raptor. Or as my mom says, he squeals like a pig. Either way, it's loud and can be rather torturesome, especially if you're trying to sleep.

5. Colby can't get enough of his hands, or should I say, in his hands. There's nothing better than little baby hands and fingers. And the way Colby uses his to learn about his surroundings is so endearing. He scratches his head and his face when he gets tired. At first it scared me because he looked so frustrated and angry as he viscously moved his hands back and forth over his head, but then I thought about how nice it feels when someone plays with my hair or rubs my head. So now I just make sure his nails are trimmed as much as possible in order to avoid him waking up looking like he got into a fight with a cheetah.

But my absolute favorite moments are in the middle of the night when both of us are half asleep and he uses his hands as his eyes to "see" my face through the darkness. As he eats, his soft, chubby fingers make their way from my chest to my chin to the rest of my face. His palm will rest for a moment on my mouth before moving on to my cheek, my nose and my eyes. All the while, his own eyes are sealed shut, blocking out anything else that may take his focus away from me.

Even in the hospital, Colby was comforted by clinging.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Sister Training

An Aran Peek-A-Boo

Neutral nursery gone girl (and more owl stuff)